ZPi Blog Cephalopod Topic
- 2007-02-22 (UPDATED 2007-03-24) Larger Colossal Squid Caught
- New Zealand fishermen in the Ross Sea have caught a colossal squid weighing an estimated 495kg. Click link for collected factoids.
Older Special Reports:
- 2003-07-01 (UPDATED 2003-07-11) Chilean Blob: Not A Cephalopod
- A 12 meter long blob was found on a beach in Chile. It was suspected of being a giant octopus. Turned out to be decayed whale blubber.
- 2003-04-01 (UPDATED 2003-05-24) Colossal Squid Caught
- Fishermen near Antarctica have caught a rare, virtually intact specimen of Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni (or "colossal squid") -- a very large, very aggressive squid with scores of razor-sharp hooks on its tentacles. Includes article round-up, photos and email from Steve O'Shea.
- 2018-09-20 Octopuses Given Ecstasy for Science -- But Is That Ethical? (NatGeo)
- According to scientists at Johns Hopkins University, when given MDMA, commonly known as Ecstasy, California two-spot octopuses react in much the same way as humans, leading them (the human researchers) to conclude that our brains and octopus brains are wired the same for certain social behaviors. But was it okay to give unsuspecting octopuses a mood-altering drug?
- 2018-08-09 Another Clubhook Squid Washes Up On Oregon Coast (KOIN)
- Clubhook squids (Onykia robusta) can reach a total length of 12 feet. According to the Seaside Aquarium, it's about 9 feet in length and a male. The beak was already gone, but a few tissue samples were taken and will be sent to Alaska to further study the diet of sperm whales. This is the second clubhook squid that has washed ashore in recent weeks.
- 2018-05-18 Octopuses Are Not Aliens, But Boy Are They A Bunch Of Beautiful Weirdos (PopSci)
- Octopuses seem to be particularly prone to alien theories. The most recent is thanks to a group of scientists—none of whom study zoology and many of whom don't even study anything biological. See also: No, Octopuses Don't Come From Outer Space.
- 2018-04-18 Hundreds Of Purple Octopus Moms Are Super Weird, & They're Doomed (Live Science)
- What's the story behind this mysterious, doomed gathering of Muuscoctopus mothers, huddling uncomfortably in volcano-warmed waters and guarding eggs that will never hatch?
- 2018-04-17 How the Squid Lost Its Shell (Video) (PBS Eons)
- The ancestors of modern, squishy cephalopods like the octopus and the squid all had shells. In ancient times, their shell was their greatest asset but it eventually proved to be their biggest weakness.
- 2017-12-27 A New Species Of Giant Octopus Has Been Hiding In Plain Sight (Earther)
- Some previously assumed Giant Pacific Octopuses (Enteroctopus dofleini) have been found to be a separate species, recently dubbed the Frilled Giant Octopus.
- 2017-11-24 Toys Wanted For Scarborough Octopus (Yorkshire Coast Radio)
- Sea Life Scarborough is appealing for toys for Barbara the giant Pacific Octopus. The centre wants the public's help to fill their octopus' advent calendar with a toy every day in the run up to Christmas.
- 2017-11-14 Accident & Intent In An Octopuses' Garden (ABC.net.au)
- "We recently published a scientific report of octopuses living together in unusual numbers at a site on the south coast of New South Wales. Then things got a little out of hand... Octlantis is not a city, and no artworks, fences, or buildings have been made."
- 2017-11-11 Octopus & Grouper Collaborate (Telegraph)
- New footage shows octopus and grouper fish communicating and collaborating to catch prey. "These very different species have discovered that teamwork brings success."
- 2017-10-30 Mystery Of Octopuses Found Crawling Along Welsh Beach (Guardian)
- Dozens of octopus have been spotted emerging from the ocean and crawling along the Welsh coast in a nightly pilgrimage that has perplexed people at a seaside town.
- 2017-09-19 Biologists Just Discovered An Underwater Octopus City And They're Calling It Octlantis (Science Alert)
- The find in Jervis Bay, off eastern Australia suggests members of the gloomy octopus species (Octopus tetricus) are perhaps not the isolated and solitary creatures we thought they were.
- 2017-09-15 Strange, See-Through Squid Captured On Camera (Nautilus Live)
- The Exploration Vessel Nautilus spotted the cockatoo squid (Taonius borealis) near the Juan de Fuca Canyon in the Salish Sea off of British Columbia.
- 2017-07-23 Extraordinary Octopus Takes To Land (video) (BBC Earth)
- Video of Northern Australian octopus for whom land is no obstacle.
- 2017-04-06 Squid & Octopus Can Edit & Direct Their Own Brain Genes (New Scientist)
- Unlike other animals, cephalopods sometimes interfere with their DNA code as it is being carried by a molecular "messenger", diversifying the proteins their cells can produce, leading to some interesting variations. The system may have produced a special kind of evolution based on RNA editing rather than DNA mutations and could be responsible for the complex behaviour and high intelligence seen in cephalopods, some scientists believe. A more technical overview.
- 2017-02-14 If Your Hands Could Smell, You'd Be An Octopus (KQED)
- "The suckers are hands that also smell and taste. They're smelling the water with their suckers."
- Show all previous headlines...
All headlines, blurbs, and photos are the property of their respective owners and are used without permission for the sake of driving traffic to their sites. Contact lyle@zapatopi if this is a problem. None of the sites linked to are in any way associated with Zapato Productions intradimensional. .net