ZPi Blog Cephalopod Topic
- 2007-02-22 (UPDATED 2007-03-24) Larger Colossal Squid Caught
- New Zealand fishermen in the Ross Sea have caught a colossal squid weighing an estimated 495kg. Click link for collected factoids.
Older Special Reports:
- 2003-07-01 (UPDATED 2003-07-11) Chilean Blob: Not A Cephalopod
- A 12 meter long blob was found on a beach in Chile. It was suspected of being a giant octopus. Turned out to be decayed whale blubber.
- 2003-04-01 (UPDATED 2003-05-24) Colossal Squid Caught
- Fishermen near Antarctica have caught a rare, virtually intact specimen of Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni (or "colossal squid") -- a very large, very aggressive squid with scores of razor-sharp hooks on its tentacles. Includes article round-up, photos and email from Steve O'Shea.
- 2017-12-27 A New Species Of Giant Octopus Has Been Hiding In Plain Sight (Earther)Some previously assumed Giant Pacific Octopuses (Enteroctopus dofleini) have been found to be a separate species, recently dubbed the Frilled Giant Octopus.
- 2017-11-24 Toys Wanted For Scarborough Octopus (Yorkshire Coast Radio)Sea Life Scarborough is appealing for toys for Barbara the giant Pacific Octopus. The centre wants the public's help to fill their octopus' advent calendar with a toy every day in the run up to Christmas.
- 2017-11-14 Accident & Intent In An Octopuses' Garden (ABC.net.au)"We recently published a scientific report of octopuses living together in unusual numbers at a site on the south coast of New South Wales. Then things got a little out of hand... Octlantis is not a city, and no artworks, fences, or buildings have been made."
- 2017-11-11 Octopus & Grouper Collaborate (Telegraph)New footage shows octopus and grouper fish communicating and collaborating to catch prey. "These very different species have discovered that teamwork brings success."
- 2017-10-30 Mystery Of Octopuses Found Crawling Along Welsh Beach (Guardian)Dozens of octopus have been spotted emerging from the ocean and crawling along the Welsh coast in a nightly pilgrimage that has perplexed people at a seaside town.
- 2017-09-19 Biologists Just Discovered An Underwater Octopus City And They're Calling It Octlantis (Science Alert)The find in Jervis Bay, off eastern Australia suggests members of the gloomy octopus species (Octopus tetricus) are perhaps not the isolated and solitary creatures we thought they were.
- 2017-09-15 Strange, See-Through Squid Captured On Camera (Nautilus Live) The Exploration Vessel Nautilus spotted the cockatoo squid (Taonius borealis) near the Juan de Fuca Canyon in the Salish Sea off of British Columbia.
- 2017-07-23 Extraordinary Octopus Takes To Land (video) (BBC Earth)Video of Northern Australian octopus for whom land is no obstacle.
- 2017-04-06 Squid & Octopus Can Edit & Direct Their Own Brain Genes (New Scientist)Unlike other animals, cephalopods sometimes interfere with their DNA code as it is being carried by a molecular "messenger", diversifying the proteins their cells can produce, leading to some interesting variations. The system may have produced a special kind of evolution based on RNA editing rather than DNA mutations and could be responsible for the complex behaviour and high intelligence seen in cephalopods, some scientists believe. A more technical overview.
- 2017-02-14 If Your Hands Could Smell, You'd Be An Octopus (KQED)
- "The suckers are hands that also smell and taste. They're smelling the water with their suckers."
- 2017-02-13 Mismatched Eyes Help Squid Survive Ocean's Twilight Zone (Phys.org)
- The "cockeyed" squid Histioteuthis heteropsis (aka strawberry squid) has one normal eye and one giant, bulging, yellow eye. The large eye is specifically adapted for gazing upwards, searching for shadows of fellow sea creatures against the rapidly fading sunlight, while the small eye is adapted for gazing downwards, scanning deeper, darker water for flashes of bioluminescence. Also: VIDEO.
- 2016-09-01 Cuttlefish Can Count To Five (Inkfish | Discover)
- Don't look now, but Sepia pharaonis cuttlefish may be able to count better than your toddler.
- 2016-08-23 Shy Octopus Hides Inside Its Own Tentacles (EVNautilus)
- (Video) While diving off the central California coast, the team of E/V Nautilus encountered this Flapjack Octopus (named for its ear flaps) lingering on the sea floor. Another video.
- 2016-08-20 'Googly-Eyed' Stubby Squid Captures Internet's Attention (NPR)
- It looks like it could be a cartoon character, but it's real. And this little squid is making waves on the internet.
- 2016-07-05 Weird Pupils Let Octopuses See Their Colorful Gardens (UC Berkeley)
- Cephalopods are colorblind -- their eyes see only black and white -- but their weirdly shaped pupils may allow them to detect and mimic color via chromatic aberration.
- Show all previous headlines...
All headlines, blurbs, and photos are the property of their respective owners and are used without permission for the sake of driving traffic to their sites. Contact lyle@zapatopi if this is a problem. None of the sites linked to are in any way associated with Zapato Productions intradimensional. .net