ZPi Blog Cephalopod Topic
- 2007-02-22 (UPDATED 2007-03-24) Larger Colossal Squid Caught
- New Zealand fishermen in the Ross Sea have caught a colossal squid weighing an estimated 495kg. Click link for collected factoids.
Older Special Reports:
- 2003-07-01 (UPDATED 2003-07-11) Chilean Blob: Not A Cephalopod
- A 12 meter long blob was found on a beach in Chile. It was suspected of being a giant octopus. Turned out to be decayed whale blubber.
- 2003-04-01 (UPDATED 2003-05-24) Colossal Squid Caught
- Fishermen near Antarctica have caught a rare, virtually intact specimen of Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni (or "colossal squid") -- a very large, very aggressive squid with scores of razor-sharp hooks on its tentacles. Includes article round-up, photos and email from Steve O'Shea.
- 2017-02-14 If Your Hands Could Smell, You'd Be An Octopus (KQED)
- "The suckers are hands that also smell and taste. They're smelling the water with their suckers."
- 2017-02-13 Mismatched Eyes Help Squid Survive Ocean's Twilight Zone (Phys.org)
- The "cockeyed" squid Histioteuthis heteropsis (aka strawberry squid) has one normal eye and one giant, bulging, yellow eye. The large eye is specifically adapted for gazing upwards, searching for shadows of fellow sea creatures against the rapidly fading sunlight, while the small eye is adapted for gazing downwards, scanning deeper, darker water for flashes of bioluminescence. Also: VIDEO.
- 2016-09-01 Cuttlefish Can Count To Five (Inkfish | Discover)
- Don't look now, but Sepia pharaonis cuttlefish may be able to count better than your toddler.
- 2016-08-23 Shy Octopus Hides Inside Its Own Tentacles (EVNautilus)
- (Video) While diving off the central California coast, the team of E/V Nautilus encountered this Flapjack Octopus (named for its ear flaps) lingering on the sea floor. Another video.
- 2016-08-20 'Googly-Eyed' Stubby Squid Captures Internet's Attention (NPR)
- It looks like it could be a cartoon character, but it's real. And this little squid is making waves on the internet.
- 2016-07-05 Weird Pupils Let Octopuses See Their Colorful Gardens (UC Berkeley)
- Cephalopods are colorblind -- their eyes see only black and white -- but their weirdly shaped pupils may allow them to detect and mimic color via chromatic aberration.
- 2016-05-23 World Octopus And Squid Populations Are Booming (Science)
- New research shows that changes to marine environments are leading to a surge of cephalopods, the invertebrate group that includes octopuses, squid, and cuttlefish.
- 2016-04-19 Is There Really A Giant Octopus Under The Tacoma Narrows Bridge? (KUOW)
- "The big octopuses, they're around," says commercial diver Kerry Donahue. "They try to scare you," he says. "Their big defense mechanism -- they get bigger than you are."
- 2016-04-13 Octopus Slips Out Of Aquarium Tank, Crawls Across Floor, Escapes Down Pipe To Ocean (WP)
- Inky the octopus didn't even try to cover his tracks. By the time the staff at New Zealand's National Aquarium noticed that he was missing, telltale suction cup prints were the main clue to an easily solved mystery.
- 2016-03-02 Deep Discoverer Discovers a Very Deep, Ghostlike Octopod (NOAA)
- Deep-sea, undescribed incirrate octopod, nicknamed "Casper", found 4000m deep near Hawaii, deeper than any other of its kind. Deeeep.
- 2015-12-24 Video Of Live Giant Squid In Japan (ANN)
- More from the TONMO forum.
- 2015-09-18 Octopus Makes Own Quicksand To Build Burrow On Seabed (New Scientist)
- The southern sand octopus (Octopus kaurna) has taken hide-and-seek to a whole new level. It shoots jets of water into the seafloor creating quicksand that allows it to vanish.
- 2015-08-25 Rare Nautilus Sighted For First Time In Three Decades (UW)
- University of Washington Biologist Peter Ward returned from the South Pacific with news that he encountered what he considers one of the world's rarest animals, Allonautilus scrobiculatus.
- 2015-08-24 Octopuses Seen Throwing Things May Be Using Shells As Weapons (New Scientist)
- Octopuses have been recorded gathering up armfuls of debris before taking pot shots at one another. Whether it's a case of "get off my turf" or merely "oops, didn't mean to hit you" is still a puzzle.
- 2015-08-13 No, An Octopus Is Not An Alien (From Quarks to Quasars)
- A number of sites started running stories that seemed to imply that octopuses are aliens. Scientists were really just using a clever metaphor to highlight the unique complexity of the octopus genome i.e., octopuses aren't really from outer space and their DNA is not utterly unique.
- Show all previous headlines...
All headlines, blurbs, and photos are the property of their respective owners and are used without permission for the sake of driving traffic to their sites. Contact lyle@zapatopi if this is a problem. None of the sites linked to are in any way associated with Zapato Productions intradimensional. .net