ZPi Blog Cephalopod Topic
- 2007-02-22 (UPDATED 2007-03-24) Larger Colossal Squid Caught
- New Zealand fishermen in the Ross Sea have caught a colossal squid weighing an estimated 495kg. Click link for collected factoids.
Older Special Reports:
- 2003-07-01 (UPDATED 2003-07-11) Chilean Blob: Not A Cephalopod
- A 12 meter long blob was found on a beach in Chile. It was suspected of being a giant octopus. Turned out to be decayed whale blubber.
- 2003-04-01 (UPDATED 2003-05-24) Colossal Squid Caught
- Fishermen near Antarctica have caught a rare, virtually intact specimen of Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni (or "colossal squid") -- a very large, very aggressive squid with scores of razor-sharp hooks on its tentacles. Includes article round-up, photos and email from Steve O'Shea.
- 2017-09-19 Biologists Just Discovered An Underwater Octopus City And They're Calling It Octlantis (Science Alert)The find in Jervis Bay, off eastern Australia suggests members of the gloomy octopus species (Octopus tetricus) are perhaps not the isolated and solitary creatures we thought they were.
- 2017-09-15 Strange, See-Through Squid Captured On Camera (Nautilus Live) The Exploration Vessel Nautilus spotted the cockatoo squid (Taonius borealis) near the Juan de Fuca Canyon in the Salish Sea off of British Columbia.
- 2017-07-23 Extraordinary Octopus Takes To Land (video) (BBC Earth)Video of Northern Australian octopus for whom land is no obstacle.
- 2017-04-06 Squid & Octopus Can Edit & Direct Their Own Brain Genes (New Scientist)Unlike other animals, cephalopods sometimes interfere with their DNA code as it is being carried by a molecular "messenger", diversifying the proteins their cells can produce, leading to some interesting variations. The system may have produced a special kind of evolution based on RNA editing rather than DNA mutations and could be responsible for the complex behaviour and high intelligence seen in cephalopods, some scientists believe. A more technical overview.
- 2017-02-14 If Your Hands Could Smell, You'd Be An Octopus (KQED)
- "The suckers are hands that also smell and taste. They're smelling the water with their suckers."
- 2017-02-13 Mismatched Eyes Help Squid Survive Ocean's Twilight Zone (Phys.org)
- The "cockeyed" squid Histioteuthis heteropsis (aka strawberry squid) has one normal eye and one giant, bulging, yellow eye. The large eye is specifically adapted for gazing upwards, searching for shadows of fellow sea creatures against the rapidly fading sunlight, while the small eye is adapted for gazing downwards, scanning deeper, darker water for flashes of bioluminescence. Also: VIDEO.
- 2016-09-01 Cuttlefish Can Count To Five (Inkfish | Discover)
- Don't look now, but Sepia pharaonis cuttlefish may be able to count better than your toddler.
- 2016-08-23 Shy Octopus Hides Inside Its Own Tentacles (EVNautilus)
- (Video) While diving off the central California coast, the team of E/V Nautilus encountered this Flapjack Octopus (named for its ear flaps) lingering on the sea floor. Another video.
- 2016-08-20 'Googly-Eyed' Stubby Squid Captures Internet's Attention (NPR)
- It looks like it could be a cartoon character, but it's real. And this little squid is making waves on the internet.
- 2016-07-05 Weird Pupils Let Octopuses See Their Colorful Gardens (UC Berkeley)
- Cephalopods are colorblind -- their eyes see only black and white -- but their weirdly shaped pupils may allow them to detect and mimic color via chromatic aberration.
- 2016-05-23 World Octopus And Squid Populations Are Booming (Science)
- New research shows that changes to marine environments are leading to a surge of cephalopods, the invertebrate group that includes octopuses, squid, and cuttlefish.
- 2016-04-19 Is There Really A Giant Octopus Under The Tacoma Narrows Bridge? (KUOW)
- "The big octopuses, they're around," says commercial diver Kerry Donahue. "They try to scare you," he says. "Their big defense mechanism -- they get bigger than you are."
- 2016-04-13 Octopus Slips Out Of Aquarium Tank, Crawls Across Floor, Escapes Down Pipe To Ocean (WP)
- Inky the octopus didn't even try to cover his tracks. By the time the staff at New Zealand's National Aquarium noticed that he was missing, telltale suction cup prints were the main clue to an easily solved mystery.
- 2016-03-02 Deep Discoverer Discovers a Very Deep, Ghostlike Octopod (NOAA)
- Deep-sea, undescribed incirrate octopod, nicknamed "Casper", found 4000m deep near Hawaii, deeper than any other of its kind. Deeeep.
- 2015-12-24 Video Of Live Giant Squid In Japan (ANN)
- More from the TONMO forum.
- Show all previous headlines...
All headlines, blurbs, and photos are the property of their respective owners and are used without permission for the sake of driving traffic to their sites. Contact lyle@zapatopi if this is a problem. None of the sites linked to are in any way associated with Zapato Productions intradimensional. .net